Pages

Friday, 21 December 2012

The tale of Kate and Mr. Rat

Today as I walked home, a small rodent, which I guessed was a rat and so named it Mr. Rat, darted out of a small bush and into a hole nearby. I was slightly shocked and I must say a little delighted and this peculiar sight, as I think rats are cute and cuddly, even though they spread the black plague (after all it's not really their fault).
There's no doubting that Mr. Rat did not want to be seen, as he ran so fast to be hidden again, but I can't help but wonder why he didn't wait for me to go past before showing himself. Either he didn't see or hear me, or he deemed me safe enough to see him for just a second. I like to think it was the latter.
In some ways, I can relate to Mr. Rat. His decision was not an easy one, and the wrong decision could have endangered his life. I have some important decisions to make too, and though my life is most likely not in danger, the decision I make will most certainly change my life.
If I were Mr. Rat would I dart out of the bush, taking a risk which could lead to a good or bad outcome? Or would I wait until the danger has passed? How am I supposed to know which is the better decision?
The answer is: I don't.
I can either take the risk or not and I will never know which decision will be better.
If you had asked me two weeks ago I would have stayed in the bush and hid, but now I'm not sure. I don't really know. Surely it's better to take a risk on the off-chance that something good will come of it.
Mr. Rat has been somewhat of an inspiration to me, daring me to follow in his footsteps into the unknown. I quite like the idea to be honest, and I'm not a quitter or backer-outer. I like a challenge.
But will the risk pay off? Who knows.

1 comment:

  1. you think rats are cute and cuddly? Weirdo......
    Haha :p
    Katy

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment your thoughts, opinions and messages. I will reply on request and can offer advise and friendship. It would be great to hear from you :)